A History Making Post Office
"On the 1st of April, 1910,
Bill Gillespie (below)
left his post office to take mail by motor truck to Isisford.
It was Australia's first motorised mail service.
From thenceforth, the Isisford mail was always carried by motor vehicles,
except occasionally during wet weather.
Early mail deliveries to the Ilfracombe district had been carried by pack-horses from Coach Terminals at Aramac and Blackall. When the railway arrived in Ilfracombe in September 1891, mail services were run north and south from the new town by buggy and coach. Cobb & Co. Coaches took the mail to Isisford between 1892 and 1906.
Mail and telegraph services (Morse Code) was operated from an office in the Ilfracombe Railway Station until 1909, when the current post office was constructed.
In early 1910 a telephone (voice transmission) exchange opened in this building. Those who wished to connect to the new service had to build thier own telephone lines into the exchange. Until 1984 the telephone system was manually operated by telephonists. They handled an average of 150 outward calls and 100 inward calls each day."